SAF™ System Pilot Testing for Wastewater Applications
At Heron Innovators, we specialize in developing flotation treatment technology and conduct pilot testing for a variety of industries, including the public sector. Our Suspended Air® Flotation (SAF™) wastewater treatment systems perform water clarification with grit removal and solids thickening. This advanced system is more efficient than dissolved air flotation methods, and was the exact solution a Fortuna, California customer needed.
The Heron Innovators system detailed here is a trailer mounted model SAF125 treatment system, fabricated from AISI type 304 stainless steel, PVC, and polyurethane. The pilot trailer measured 40 feet long by 8 feet wide by approximately 12 feet high. The system has a 250 gpm flow capacity and includes pH control systems with a PID loop. This complete and continuous operating facility features a 7.5 HP feed pump and 4-inch magnetic flow meter. The pilot testing provided data proving over 30 times the capacity of a conventional circular primary clarifier.
At Heron Innovators, our product standards include designing according to customer specifications and use of CAD drawings. This single test run of the SAF™ wastewater treatment pilot test shows the efficiency of our systems. Further project details are listed below. Contact Heron Innovators to learn more.
Request for Quote
Pilot Testing Gallery
(Click image to enlarge)
- 250 gpm self-priming Feed Pump with a VFD controller
- 4-inch magnetic Flow Meter
- pH control system with PID loops for acid and caustic feed
- Flow controlled outlets for coagulant feed and coagulation
- Conditioning Tank fabricated partitioned into two units with mixers and an overflow weir
- Polymer dosing/flash mixing and aging system
- Working Tanks for conditioning chemistry
- Flotation Cell and SAF™ Froth Generator
- Positive Displacement Skimmed Solids Pump
SAF™ System Pilot Testing for Wastewater Applications Project Highlights
- Product Name
- Trailer mounted Model SAF125 Suspended Air® Flotation (SAF™) Treatment System
- Product Description
- Pilot testing using a trailer mounted Model SAF125 Suspended Air® Flotation (SAF™) Treatment System. Capable of treating 250 gpm. Contained and fully integrated are:
- pH Control System with PID loops for acid and caustic feed
- controlled outlets for coagulant feed/coagulation
- polymer dosing/flash mixing/aging system supporting flocculation
- flotation separation of suspended solids and associated BOD/COD
- fully automated continuous operation including the starting/stopping system by remote signal/parameter.
- Primary influent clarification in place of primary clarifier
- Treatment of overflow pond return water containing algae/partially digested raw influent
- Clarification of activated sludge mixed liquor with concurrent thickening of MLSS.
- Digested sludge belt filter press filtrate and wash water clarification
- Treatability Studies & Pilot Scale Testing
- Treatability Studies
- In-house laboratory testing
- Jar tests for determining polymer and flocculent dosing rates and additions for pH control
- Analytical results developed to predict process performance and operating costs
- Pilot scale testing offered to verify process performance and operating costs derived from laboratory tests
- Trailer-mounted SAF™ system equipped to handle flow rates ranging from 40 to 250 gpm with complete pH control, polymer dosing & aging, and a flotation tank offered for rental
- System Capabilities and Services Provided
- Engineering design of process and components.
AutoCAD drawings for mechanical and electrical fabrication.
Provision and operation of pilot trailer in 2012.
Custom fabricated welded stainless steel tanks and components.
- Overall Part Dimensions
- Pilot trailer: 40 ft. L x 8 ft. W x 12 ft. 4 in. H
- Tightest Tolerances
- ± 1/16 inches
- Material Used
- 304 stainless steel, PVC, Polyurethane
- Additional Facts
- Feed System: 7.5 HP, 250 gpm pump with 4-in. magnetic flow meter,
pH control system with acid and caustic PID Loops
- Conditioning Tank: 304SS, 1,800 gallons, 2-compartment with 2-turbine agitators.
- Flotation Tank: Model CF-125 ClearFloater™ Cross-Flow Flotation Cell with flocculation agitator, chain and flight skimmer, solids hopper, adjustable stainless steel weir, and observation decking.
- SAF™ Generator: Model F50 (13.6 gpm froth flow rating).
- Ancillary Equipment: Polymer dilution and aging system; acid, caustic, polymer, and frothing agent metering pumps; float solids transfer pump; control panels
- In process testing/inspection performed
- Bench Testing
Pilot Trailer Runs in May and June 2012
- SAF™ demonstrated over 30 times the capacity of a conventional primary clarifier. Algae removed from pond return water. MLSS thickened to greater than 5% with half the polymer dosage of the plant’s own Gravity Belt Thickener and with greater solids capture.
- Industry for Use
- Industrial & Municipal Wastewater
- Delivery/Turnaround Time
- 1 week
- Delivery Location
- Fortuna, California
- Standards Met
- Customer Specifications, 2D CAD Drawing
View Other Municipal Applications
Back to Top