Food Processing Industry
Case Study Of SAF® System For The Food Processing Industry
Heron Innovators provided a fully integrated Suspended Air Flotation (SAF®) system installation for a meat processing facility. For this project, the customer required a system to remove suspended solids, fats, oil and greases from wastewater. Our trailer-mounted F50 SAF® Generator and a CF125 Clear-Floater treatment system delivered a comprehensive solution.
The trailer-mounted system was constructed from AISI type 304 stainless steel, PVC, and polyurethane, and measured 40 ft. long x 8 ft. wide x 12 ft. high. The system is capable of flow rates to 250 gpm with a 7.5 HP feed pump. This versatile and cost-effective system is designed to use less space than most treatment systems. In addition, it also uses a minimal amount of air to float separate suspended solids, with a 0.5% air to solid ratio. During development, in-process bench testing was used to prove the concept. Heron executed a process warranty which allowed the end user to purchase the pilot test trailer as their permanent treatment solution. This trailer was delivered from stock with a six-day turnaround time which allowed the customer to put the system immediately into use.
To learn more about this project or the processes used to develop and build it, see the table below or contact us directly.
INSTALLATION OF SAF® SYSTEM FOR FOOD PROCESSING PROJECT HIGHLIGHTS
Trailer mounted F50 SAF® Generator and a CF125 Clear-Floater Treatment System
Trailer-mounted F50 SAF® Generator and a CF125 Clear-Floater treatment system, capable of treating 250 gpm.
Contained and fully integrated are:
- 250 gpm feed pump
- 4 in. magnetic flow meter
- pH Control System with PID loops for acid and caustic feed
- Controlled outlets for coagulant feed and a polymer dosing/flash mixing/aging system to promote flocculation
- Flotation of suspended solids and associated BOD/COD
- Skimmed solids pump
- Fully automated continuous operation including starting/stopping system by remote signal/parameter
System Capabilities and Services Provided
- Engineering design of process and components
- AutoCAD drawings
- In-house fabrication of mechanical and electrical equipment
Custom fabricated welded stainless steel tanks and components.
- Laboratory services supporting treatability study and proof of concept determinations.
- Installation and start-up support
- On-going system maintenance and support
- Operations and maintenance manual
Overall Part Dimensions
Sold pilot trailer (250 gpm portable treatment system) as a complete packaged permanent treatment system. Customer enclosed the trailer and began using it immediately.
- System Feed Pump: 7.5 HP, 250 gpm
- 4 in. magnetic flow meter
- pH Control System with acid and caustic PID Loops
- Conditioning Tank: 304 SS, 1,800 gallons, 2-compartment with 2-turbine agitators
- Flotation Tank: Model CF-125 ClearFloater™ Cross-Flow Flotation Cell with flocculation agitator, chain and flight skimmer, solids hopper, adjustable stainless steel weir, and observation decking
- SAF® Generator: Model F50 (13.6 gpm froth flow rating)
- Polymer dilution and aging system
- Acid, caustic, polymer, and frothing agent metering pumps
- Float solids transfer pump
In process testing/inspection performed
Pilot Trailer operation to demonstrate system capability